Intersport Role Description
Trainee, Tournament Services – Rocket Mortgage Classic
Location: Detroit, MI (1 Woodward Ave. Suite 1402)
Type: Full-time, permanent position Division: Rocket Mortgage Classic
Intersport is a full-service, award-winning agency known for developing innovative, groundbreaking, and purpose-built programs for over 35 years providing expertise for our 50+ clients for our two divisions:
• Agency Services: brand and promotional strategy, sponsorship consulting, experiential marketing, hospitality, content, digital, and social media marketing
• Property Assets – owned-and-operated media, live sports, culinary, trades and lifestyle properties
Specifically, Intersport is the official management firm (sales, marketing, and operations) of Detroit’s annual PGA TOUR event, the “Rocket Mortgage Classic,” which debuted in June of 2019. Intersport is seeking to add an Trainee, Tournament Services to assist with the administrative planning and execution of the event.
The Trainee program is the means for entry-level hiring for Intersport. A Trainee position is full-time, with salary and benefits, and covers a period of six months. At the conclusion of the six-month period, a Trainee is hired on to a permanent position based on a number of factors: a Trainee’s personal performance, Intersport company performance, and macroeconomic conditions. A Trainee position is by definition a training position – one in which they will be taught while doing real work. A Trainee must make a discernable impact and prove themselves; it is not in any way an internship position. The Trainee program is competitive by design and its purpose is hire the very best entry-level talent and grow that talent into a permanent team member. Upon successful completion of the Trainee program, a team member kept on permanently will be elevated to the title of Associate Manager, Tournament Services.
• Embodies and reflects Intersport’s performance-based culture and commits him/herself and team to the highest standards for all agency work
• Works effectively with cross-functional teams to deliver executional excellence
Tournament Support Responsibilities
• Assists with PGA TOUR Player Services and Relations. Including player courtesy vehicles, accommodations, registration, confirmation, sponsor value and concierge during tournament week
• Assist in the management of VIP guests attending the tournament
• Manages local ticket donations to nonprofits and management of “Rocket Giving Fund” charitable initiatives such as “Birdies for Charity”
• Arrange all tournament orders for apparel, gifting, awards, supplies, etc.
• Assist tournament staff with events and projects as needed
• Assist with general administrative work and other tournament service-related duties, as assigned
• Assist in a variety of matters for project management including:
• Internal meetings: planning sessions and brainstorms
• External meetings: with stakeholders, partners, and vendors
• Meeting preparation and deck and proposal development
• Due diligence, desk research, and reporting on industry happenings
• Project management and cross-department coordination
• Support, as needed, one of Intersport’s newest special events and initiatives, “The John Shippen,” aimed to provide opportunities that fundamentally increase diversity in golf on a national scale
Tournament Office Administration Responsibilities
• Serve as the receptionist for the tournament and Intersport Detroit office
• Answer the main office telephone and email addresses and direct calls/emails to appropriate staff members
• Direct and/or assist vendors, volunteers, and other visitors when they arrive at the office
• Order and re-stock products used by the office
• Ensure outgoing mail is posted and sent in a timely manner for mailing; ensure incoming mail is picked up in a timely manner and delivered to the appropriate staff member
• Manage all operations relating to sending packages via UPS and/or FedEx
• Communicate important information related to the office to all appropriate individuals
• Bachelor’s degree required • Zero (0) to one (1) years’ experience in a marketing role at an agency, brand, media company, sports or entertainment property, or related organization
o Prior exposure to golf tournaments or event planning/operations a plus
o General golf knowledge and experience a plus
• Self-Starter – quick to absorb, analyze and confidently act on large amounts of information
• Detail-Oriented – highly organized and flexible
• Effective Communicator – able to present ideas clearly and with conviction
• Professionalism- interact professionally with many different kinds of audiences and people
• Curious – seek knowledge and learn about the businesses
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• Flexibility, punctuality, and willingness to work evenings, weekends, and holidays
• Ability to work in multiple environments (in the office and on the golf course)
• Ability to work long hours, weekends, evenings, and holidays
• Ability to be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
The Trainee, Tournament Service will work full-time. Forty (40) hours a week will be required initially (Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). As the tournament nears, more than forty hours a week will be required, and work will need to be accomplished on the weekends or holidays.
From two (2) months out, up to the week of the tournament, working conditions become fast-paced, stressful and long hours will be required. Full availability during Advance Week (07/18/22 - 07/24/22) and Tournament Week (07/25/22 – 07/31/22) is required by all staff members. These dates will fluctuate as/if the Tournament Dates fluctuate as they have in the first three years of this event.
1. Yes/No: Do you have a bachelor’s degree?
2. Yes/No: Do you have a general knowledge of golf/the PGA TOUR?
3. Yes/No: Are you currently located in, or willing to relocate to, Detroit, Michigan?
4. Please indicate your potential start date
Please apply online at https://www.intersport.global/careers/
Intersport is an Equal Opportunity Employer.